Create an environment that encourages reps to reach out to others — This month The Customer Communicator offers advice from Tony Fielek, author of The Success Process Handbook, on how reps can build relationships with others in the workplace. The links below suggest how managers can help to create that kind of relationship-building environment.
Web Extras – Skill Sharpener
Will your reps be ready to adapt to evolutionary changes in customer service? — The November issue of The Customer Communicator offers advice from John Goodman, author of Customer Experience 3.0 on some of the skills reps will need in the customer service center of the near future. The links below provide some additional insight.
- An article by Goodman on redirecting your quality assurance program toward what’s really causing customer dissatisfaction.
- Several customer service educational videos below.
United Airlines in-flight safety instructions
How to register the handset on your Panasonic cordless phone
How to track your Amazon order
Keep your reps from falling into bad service habits — The October issue of The Customer Communicator offers advice from Jeff Toister, author of Service Failure, on how reps can avoid falling into bad service habits. The links below offer additional information and advice:
- The webinar below with Jeff Toister.
- A Customer Service Group archive article on setting up a “quiet room”for your customer service agents.
Help reps develop the skills they need to provide exceptional service — In the September issue of The Customer Communicator, Flavio Martins, author of Win the Customer, offers advice on how reps can create a more positive customer experience. The links below offer further advice on winning customers.
- Read an excerpt from Flavio Martins’ book, Win the Customer: 70 Simple Steps for Sensational Service.
- Get more advice with this article from the Customer Service Group archives on helping reps build trust with customers.
Help your customer service reps to develop frontline leadership skills by building a team culture — The August issue of The Customer Communicator offers Renée Evenson’s perspective on the importance of leadership skills for everyone on the service team. The links below offer additional advice on how to build a culture that nurtures leaders.
- Here’s an article from our archives on how to turn your service unit into a well-functioning team.
- Check out this further advice from Evenson on how to help your reps to create a team mission statement.
Give your reps the range they need to become customer service heroes — The July issue of The Customer Communicator offers Adam Toporek’s advice on how reps can be heroes to their customers. The links below provide additional suggestions for achieving and celebrating “hero” status.
- Take this link to our Customer Service Week website for ideas on how to recognize the heroes on your service team.
- Read an excerpt from Adam Toporek’s book Be Your Customer’s Hero. You’ll find four sales techniques to share with your staff.
Dealing with the irate, cranky, or cantankerous customer — In the June issue of The Customer Communicator, author Mark Goulston offers an array of useful tips on handling difficult customers. The links below will connect you with additional advice from Goulston.
- An excerpt from Chapter One of Goulston’s Just Listen: Discover the Secret to Getting Through to Just About Anyone.
- The YouTube video below in which Goulston discusses an experience in which he learned a lot about dealing with difficult people.
Phone skills are still important for service reps — Nancy Friedman of Telephone Doctor Inc. thinks phone skills should remain at the top of reps’ basic training needs list. And here are some links to related skills that might help:
Promote reps’ loyalty-building efforts — Customer service author and consultant Chip R. Bell wants companies to put more effort into connecting with customers. These links will help:
- Read an excerpt from Bell’s new book, Sprinkles: Creating Awesome Experiences Through Innovative Service.
- And here’s an article from our archives in which Bell offers suggestions on how reps can gather useful intelligence from customers.
Create a positive work environment — Author and motivator Jon Gordon believes it’s important for managers to promote a positive attitude at work. These resources will help.